Tuesday, 9 February 2021

DFI Day One Reflection

 

The Manaiakalani learn create share pedagogy is embedded into our school pedagogy. It is crazy to think I have been a part of it as a classroom teacher for the past 5-6 years and STILL there is so much to learn!

Above are various takeaway tools from the session that I found useful.
The Explore Tool to locate images that are safe for students to use. Voice typing to help learners in literacy to get their ideas across. A refresher on the uses of Google Docs as I have been an avid user of Google Drawings! The usefulness of creating a table of contents within the classroom for students and out of the classroom. For example, I created one in our team meeting minutes to make information easier to locate. 

Last but not least, reminding me that I do have a professional blog and it would be great to use it more frequently!

Google Groups
The biggest takeaway from the session was Google Groups. 
The ability to use Google Groups to foster collaboration between my team. Teachers to teachers and students to teachers. 

This year we have 70 students and 3 teachers. We are a fully 1:1 device class (Chromebooks). When breaking off into workshops students usually would like to share work with all 3 of their teachers. It is a lot less time consuming for the students to type the kea-teachers email than it is each of our individual emails.

Likewise, for teachers it is easier to share to kea-teachers rather than typing individual emails. It also means teachers can easily find and access the information they are looking for rather than going through all of their emails. 

For my role this year being new to the Ako Hiko leaders group, it makes it easy for me to search things that others may have brought up in the previous year. 

Overall, google groups will help myself to learn more, access the information I need and help with workflow.


4 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Sam. Sounds like you got a lot out of today. Google Groups are great. Remember that if students have filed work correctly all teachers can see that work via Hāpara Teacher Dashboard so students don't have to spend extra time emailing teachers. Google Docs and Google Drawings are both amazing tools. It's just about decided which one is best for a specific purpose. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Sam,

    The explore tool is so great for learners, I love that they don't have to leave their doc/slides/drawing to research and that it works across the different tools! As Phil has said, Docs and Drawings are both great. So often us teachers tend to reach for Google Drawing, so it's just a good reminder that we can use Docs for more than just writing. And I'm sure your colleagues will love your contents tables in your hui minutes - such a time saver!
    See you on Wednesday.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tena koe Sam,
    I am a coach in DFI.
    Great to real the whole list of learning from day 1. Nice honesty about the professional blog! One idea would be to use this for your reflections on teaching and evidence of what you are learning throughout the year and when you need this for school leaders or others you have links to share.
    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome work Sam and such hearty reflections in your blog, great to see that you are using the professional blog to lead by example for your team and kura. I am especially keen to see the use of digital tools within LCS to accelerate learning not just for learners but also kaiako who may be new to our kura.

    ReplyDelete