Saturday, 13 October 2018

Applied Practice 2 - Activity 4 Ethical and legal issues in the digital age (Postgrad)

The digital age creates some ethical issues that are out of our control. As teachers we need to be aware of these and share ways to manage them that honor the code of ethics. In this reflective post, I will be critically reflecting on a digital ethical dilemma, the issues and how it was resolved using Rolfie’s model of reflection.

Step 1 (What):

Students were creating google hangouts during class time to chat to students in other classes. The chat was not inappropriate but all students were called in at morning tea to talk about the misuse of their Chromebook during class time. We would never take a Chromebook off students as this is their key learning tool. At home, the chat continued and there had been an altercation between two students that day and this continued through google hangouts at home. They were teasing each other about who one another liked. One child was visibly upset.



Step 2 (So What):

Using Ehrich’s (2001) ethical decision-making framework I will critique and analyse the issues arising from the ethical dilemma. The critical incident had been triggered by the teasing at school earlier that day. This had continued at home through google hangouts which resulted in the ethical issue, cyber-bullying. At first I thought, ‘was it really classed as cyber bullying?’ However, cyber-bullying is defined as “the act of sending or posting harmful or cruel text or images using the internet or other communication devices” therefore it was (Legal, Ethical, and Social Issues in Educational Computing, 2013).

Professional ethics: Even though it happened at home and not at school I felt the duty to resolve the problem as it had started at school. I couldn’t help but think: ‘was there a way this could have been prevented?’ The next day I called them in for a meeting at morning tea and discussed the incident with them. One of the

guiding principles I had to consider was focusing more on the behavior involved in the incident and less on the digital technology (MoE, 2015). Legal issues, policies: We reviewed the bully-free policy and cyber-safety school resource. The individual involved had not perceived cyber-bullying as bullying and apologized.

There was no further action taken. I don’t believe in taking devices off students as they are a key learning tool. The implications from this affect the individuals and the wider community if it was to continue.

Figure 1. A model of ethical decision-making



Step 3 (Now What):

Reflecting on this dilemma, I realise there are other things I can do to prevent this from happening again. I did not act further on the dilemma at the time, however The Ministry of Education (2015) state that prevention can be better than a response. I will further develop the students knowledge of cyber-bullying and digital citizenship which aligns with our ICT school plan. The Ministry of Education (2015) also states that engaging whanau and students in conversations around digital safety can prevent online dilemmas from occurring. I will inform parents if it happens again and include them in the learning of the developments of skills and knowledge for safe and responsible use of digital technology (MoE, 2015). In doing this I would be committing to the code of conduct by ‘engaging families and their whanau in learning’ (Education Council, 2017).



The goal is to ensure online safety for all students at all times and to prevent and reduce the chances on the ethical dilemma happening again  (MoE, 2015).



References



Education Council. (2017). Our Code Our Standards. Retrieved from: https://educationcouncil.org.nz/sites/default/files/Our%20Code%20Our%20Standards%20web%20booklet%20FINAL.pdf



Ehrich, L. C., Kimber, M., Millwater, J. & Cranston, N. (2011). Ethical dilemmas: a model to understand teacher practice, Teachers and Teaching: theory and practice, 17:2, 173-185, DOI: 10.1080/13540602.2011.539794

Legal, Ethical, and Social Issues in Educational Computing. (2013). Technology in Education, The Legal, Social, and Ethical Issues [video]. Retrieved from https://www.slideshare.net/sappingtonkr/02-legal-ethical-and-social-issues-in-educational-computing.



Ministry of Education. (2015). DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY Safe and responsible use in schools. Wellington: New Zealand: Author. Retrieved from https://www.education.govt.nz/assets/Documents/School/Managing-and-supporting-students/DigitalTechnologySafeAndResponsibleUseInSchs.pdf


Rolfe, G., Freshwater, D., Jasper, M. (2001) Critical reflection in nursing and the helping professions: a user’s guide. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.


No comments:

Post a Comment