Description
At the start of Mindlab I believed I was a skilled 21st-century learning teacher due to the fact I was a 1:1 digital class and up to date with the latest ICT teaching ideas. Little did I know, the approaches for the 21st-century learning had been around for quite some time and are practiced by many educators. Bolstad, Gilbert, McDowall, Bull, Boyd & Hipkins (2012) stated that it is important to note that many 21st century ideas about what meaningful learning looks like, and how to support it, are actually not new. I did not have as deep of an understanding around the 21st-century learning skills as I thought I had.
My students spent a lot of time on the Chromebooks, approximately three blocks a day gaining what I believed at the time was valuable future 21st century ICT skills. Through doing Mindlab I shifted away from students using Chromebooks often to really questioning the effectiveness of my ICT learning tasks. The subtheme that identified with the change I made was "The role of current and emerging technologies" (Bolstad, Gilbert, McDowall, Bull, Boyd & Hipkins, 2012).
Feelings
During my postgraduate journey, I felt that after looking at the TPACK and SAMR framework models that I had in a sense been taking advantage of this tool (ICT). I began to question myself and the quality of the tasks I had set on the Chromebooks. Were they spending to much time on the Chromebooks? Did they actually need the Chromebook to complete this task? So I decided to shift my thinking and beliefs about the use of Chromebooks in teaching and learning always being a good thing. I started to understand that it was the way the children were using them to learn that made a difference and prepared them for their future.
Evaluation
I planned using the TPACK theoretical framework to ensure teaching and learning outcomes were maximized (Mishra & Koehler, 2009). I used the SAMR model to ensure the use of technology created learning opportunities that were personalized, situated and connected (Romrell, Kidder & Wood, 2014). Through using these frameworks to plan, during teaching I observed a shift in engagement levels across the class. They respected the Chromebooks a lot more and saw them as a significant tool for learning. Parents were happy as I prepared flipped learning tasks for at home so that time spent on the Chromebook at home was also purposeful. On the flip side, some children prefer working on the Chromebooks. For example, some would prefer to type on google docs rather than writing in their books. The change has improved my practice by causing me to reflect more deeply on the quality of the tasks on the Chromebook rather than the quantity or time spent on them.
Analysis
I now see that I am 'non-resistant' to adapt my current approach and teaching because I was triggered by the fact that by using TPACK and SAMR to inform my planing, it would lead to richer learning tasks and overall better student outcomes. Educational thinking has moved away from simply introducing new ICT tools to identifying beneficial and meaningful educational change (Bolstad, Gilbert, McDowall, Bull, Boyd & Hipkins, 2012). Bolstad, Gilbert, McDowall, Bull, Boyd & Hipkins, 2012 state that the potential of new technologies to transform teaching and learning depends on educators seeing the affordance and capabilities of ICT and is further dependent on schools having the right infrastructure, opportunities for innovation, and knowledge to achieve these kinds of teaching and learning.
Conclusion & Action
In conclusion, I have successfully and positively enhanced some of my 21st-century teaching skills through implementing a higher level of ICT tasks that are at the modification and redefinition stage of the SAMR model (Puentedura, 2010). However, I am well aware that this is just the beginning as ICT goes beyond the use of Chromebooks. As an action, moving forward I will be exploring the use other technologies and how they can enhance teaching and learning. In particular the technologies from the ‘5 Technologies That Will Change Classroom Education’ video, 2015 (virtual reality, 3D printing, cloud technology, biometrics, and holograms).
References:
AJT, 2015. ‘5 Technologies That Will Change Classroom Education’. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFL5gT_m8I
Bolstad, R., Gilbert, J., McDowall, S., Bull, A., Boyd, S., & Hipkins, R. (2012). Supporting future-oriented learning and teaching — a New Zealand perspective. Report prepared for the Ministry of Education. Retrieved from https://www.educationcounts.govt.nz/publications/schooling/109306
Finlay, L. (2008). Reflecting on reflective practice. PBPL. Retrieved from http://www.open. ac.uk/opencetl/sites/www.open.ac.uk.opencetl/files/files/ecms/web-content/Finlay-(2008)-Reflecting-on-reflective-practice-PBPL-paper-52.pdf
Koehler, M. J., & Mishra, P. (2009). What is technological pedagogical content knowledge? Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 60-70. Retrieved from https://www.learntechlib.org/p/29544/article_29544.pdf
Puentedura, R. (2010). SAMR and TPCK: Intro to advanced practice. Retrieved from http://hippasus.com/resources/sweden2010/SAMR_TPCK_IntroToAdvancedPractice.pdf.
Romrell, D., Kidder, L. C., & Wood, E. (2014). The SAMR model as a framework for evaluating mLearning. Journal of Asynchronous Learning Networks, 18(2), n2.
This was an interesting blog reflecting on Future Orientated Teaching and Learning. Although I do not use tech tools as much as you obviously did/do I also found the TPACK and SAMR models great ways to reflect on what tools I was using in my classroom. It helped clarify the purpose of a tool, and the impact on teaching and learning, and its overall effectiveness.
ReplyDeleteAs the range of tech tools available to us increases I think it will be more and more important for us to be able to evaluate its purpose and and be discerning about what tech bandwagons we jump on and what we don't.
Thanks for an interesting read!
Thank you for your comment. I have also encouraged others with limited devices to reflect using these as often I feel that at my school we are quick to put them on learning sites that could be replaced by redefinition tasks.
DeleteIt will be super interesting to watch as this technological world evolves even further throughout our careers.
I find the use of SAMR model has changed the way I plan and carry out lessons. Do you involve your students in the development and planning of tasks? e.g. how can we redefine what this task looks like?
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment. We are going to unpack the SAMR model further as a team as it really makes us think about the effectiveness of the tasks and the purpose. I have not yet shared it with the students, but what a fantastic idea. Have you had success with sharing it with your students?
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI also found that looking at the TPACK and SAMR model focused my thinking about what I was seeing in classrooms. It was a really useful tool to share with teachers and get them to critique where their lesson plans / Chromebook use sat. I think the new Digital Technologies Curriculum will allow for these sorts of tools to be used effectively. Do you agree?
ReplyDeleteI remember discussing this with you at one of the mindlabs, it really made me think so it was perfect for me to reflect on. I totally agree. Have you seen a shift in the effectiveness in tasks since introducing the models to the teachers?
DeleteThank you for your comment.
Thanks Miss Bound for an honest reflection on your practice! I really resonated with your 'feelings' section - I also had to stop and think about the tasks that I set for students on Chromebooks, and realised a lot of the tasks were just at the 'substitution' level, which wasn't really adding much value or learning, and certainly wasn't providing opportunities for collaboration and problem solving. It would be interesting to hear how you and your school go with other technologies such as VR and 3D printing, as these are areas I am not familiar with and (quite honestly) have been avoiding for some time! Nga mihi, Shannon
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment. I totally agree. It has been valuable to reflect on this. It is not always easy though to create tasks at the higher level but getting there.. I am not familiar with them at all so it will be interesting to see how they develop and fit in with our schools.
Delete